Brighton Farmers’ Market
Rain or shine, come to the market for fresh and delicious vegetables, fruit, meat, and more. Help support local farmers who, by growing food in sustainable ways, create a healthier food supply and a cleaner environment. Meet your neighbors, bring the kids, enjoy summer in Brighton!
Winter Market recycling
ColorBrightonGreen.org will not be at the Winter Market this year. Please visit our Recycling Page to learn how to recycle on your own.
Summer recycling at Brighton Farmers’ Market
Bring the following items at the ColorBrightonGreen.org table at the Brighton Farmers’ Market and we’ll recycle them for you.
Items we recycle
- Orange prescription bottles with caps on. (Please, remove labels!) These are being collected to be used for medicine in third world countries.
- Drink pouches:*
- Aluminum or plastic.
- No juice boxes—they go in your blue bin, straws removed.
- Candy wrappers:*
- Individual candy wrappers, large candy bags, and multi-pack candy bags.
- No candy boxes or gum packaging.
- Granola/protein/energy bar wrappers:*
- Foil lined energy bar, granola bar, meal replacement bar, protein bar, diet bar wrappers.
- Clif brand wrappers: Twisted Fruit, Shot Roks, Shot Bloks, Shot Gel.
- Cheese and dairy packaging:*
- String cheeses packages, individual singles wrappers, singles packages, shredded cheeses packages, all flexible cheese wrappers, cream cheese tubs, sour cream tubs, cheese tubs, yogurt tubs, butter tubs, any other dairy product tub, foil tops, plastic tub tops, any other type of packaging on all dairy tubs
- Bubble wrap, loose fill packing peanuts, non-food styrofoam packaging. (Usable and clean.)
- Compact fluorescent lamps (CFL)
- Compact discs and DVDs
- Batteries (all kinds, not corroded and no car batteries)
- Crayons (leave labels on when possible)
- Wine corks (real or synthetic)*
- Shoes in pairs:
- Including sneakers, cleats, flats, high heels, dress shoes, and boots.
- No ski boots, roller skates, roller blades, ice skates, completely broken or ruined footwear, single shoes, rubber flip flops, or slippers.
- These are sent to Terracycle and manufactured into new products.
- Used personal care and beauty product packaging.* Including, but not limited to:
- Makeup, hair product, body wash, shaving product, soap, lotion, nail polish, etc.
- Tubes, bottles, jars, cans, cases, dispensers, containers of any kind.
- Toothpaste tubes, tooth brushes, floss containers.
- Brita filters (dry):
- These are returned to the manufacturer and made into new products.
Items we DO NOT recycle
- Plastics #3–7 and plastic flower pots are recycled by Monroe County. There is no need to bring these items at the Market. Make sure to place them in your recycling “Blue Box” to be picked-up by your waste hauler.
- Styrofoam and other rigid foam packaging: see tip on our recycling tips page.
- Egg Containers: some farmers at the market will take them.
- Plastic grocery bags, bread bags, newspaper bags, other thin plastic bags or plastic wrap: grocery stores take them for recycling in their “plastic bag” recycling bins.
If you would like to help at the recycling table, please send us a note.
* Recycling of these items benefit the school building project in South Sudan.
- Every Sunday, May 27 to October 28, 2012, from 9 am to 1 pm
- Brighton High School Parking Lot
- Every Sunday, November 4 to May 2013, from 1 pm to 4 pm
- Brighton’s Brookside Center, 220 Idlewood Road. (Second entrance off South Winton between Westfall and 590.)
For more information, visit the Brighton Farmers’ Market web site.
The Brighton Farmers’ Market is sponsored by the Town of Brighton.