Cities for Climate Protection
Promoting change around the world
The Cities for Climate Protection (CCP) is a highly successful and widely recognized campaign sponsored by the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI). As members, government officials pledge to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from local government operations and throughout their communities by integrating climate change mitigation into their decision-making processes. The town of Brighton is one of more than 800 local governments worldwide to participate in the campaign.
Five steps to take locally
As a member of CCP, our community will complete the following steps to reduce local greenhouse gas emissions, improve air quality, and enhance urban livability and sustainability:
- Conduct a baseline emissions inventory and forecast.
- Adopt an emissions reduction target for the forecast year.
- Develop a Local Action Plan.
- Implement policies and measures.
- Monitor and verify results.
A better quality of life for us all
- Financial savings in reduced utility and fuel costs to our local government, households, and businesses.
- Improved local air quality, contributing to the general health and well being of our community.
- Economic development and new local jobs as investments in locally produced energy products and services keep money circulating in our local economy.
For more information