A call for communitywide change
From small towns to the largest cities around the globe, communities are looking at their local greenhouse gas emissions and taking steps to reduce them by at least 10%. In her 2007 State of the Town address, Brighton Town Supervisor Sandra Frankel pledged that our community would accept the challenge to do its part to improve our corner of the world. Within the next two years, many steps have been taken to promote this timely and critical agenda:
- A Town Council resolution endorsed the Climate Protection Agreement put forth by the U.S. Council of Mayors.
- Supervisor Frankel established the Green Brighton Task Force, a volunteer citizens’ committee to advise town officials, residents, businesses and institutions on reducing our community’s impact on the global climate.
- Brighton joined the International Communities for Local Environmental Initiatives, or ICLEI, a consortium of local governments focused on sustainability and sponsors of the Cities for Climate Protection program.
- The Green Brighton Task Force submitted its final report, Recommendations for a Sustainable Future (PDF, 452KB), to the Town Board in September 2008.
The recommendations of the Green Brighton Task Force, which completed its assignment with the delivery of the final report, are being implemented by the following committees:
- The independent non-profit ColorBrightonGreen.org, is responsible for outreach to the community, sponsorship of energy reduction programs, support for the Brighton Farmer’s Market, and networking with other like-minded organizations.
- The Sustainability Oversight Committee, which answers to the the Town Supervisor and Board, has the responsibility of monitoring the Town government’s implementation of the Task Force’s recommendations and looks for new technologies and mechanisms for energy conservation and use of alternative resources.
- The Bicycling Task Force develops recommendations for on- and off-street bicycling routes, to be incorporated in the Update to the Town Comprehensive Plan.
Our committees need your help
Interested in volunteering your time, talents and expertise on a committee, or on an “as needed” basis?