- Gently used or new school supplies
- Empty, Clean Personal care, and beauty containers:
Including hair, skin, and make-up. Specifically: lipstick cases, mascara tubes, eye shadow cases, bronzer cases, foundation packaging (no cans, they can go in the blue box), powder cases, lip balm tubes, face soap dispensers, face lotion jars, eyeliner cases, eyeliner pencils, eyeshadow tubes, concealer tubes, concealer sticks, lip liner pencils, hair paste jars.
- Oral care packaging:
Toothpaste tubes, toothpaste caps, toothbrushes, floss containers, mouthwash bottles, mouthwash caps, deodorant containers and caps, plastic soap wrappers. (No aerosol deodorant cans—put these in blue boxes.)
- Used Contact lens and blister packs: Biotrue® ONEday and other Bausch + Lomb brand contact lenses and Biotrue(R) ONEday and other Bausch + Lomb brand blister packs. We will also accept contact lenses and blister packs from all brands. Do not give us the cardboard packaging since that can be placed in your curbside recycle container.
- Brita Brand water filters (ONLY). Other water filters should be placed in the trash.
- Used wine corks
Places to recycle other items
- Styrofoam: The EcoPark will take large, clean, white packing styrofoam with no tape on it.
- Egg Cartons: some farmers at the market will take them.
- Plastic grocery bags, bread bags, newspaper bags, other thin plastic bags or plastic wrap: grocery stores take them for recycling in their “plastic bag” recycling bins.
Plastic bags, cords, ropes, etc. wrap around recycling machinery causing facility downtime and also contaminate recyclable paper. Plastic bags and product wrapping may be recycled at most large retail outlets. Also, don’t put your curbside recyclables in plastic bags. If you do so, the entire bag full of items will go to the landfill instead of being recycled. They don’t have the ability at the sorting center to open the bags and sort the items. If you are worried about the wind catching your recyclables, purchase a larger recycle bin with a lid.
- EMPTY prescription or over the counter bottles: Monroe County Eco-Park. For more information from Monroe County about why you cannot put these empty bottles in your curbside recycling, and what happens to the bottles that are taken to the Monroe County Ecopark, see our green tip.
- Compact fluorescent lamps (CFL). Home improvement stores or Monroe County EcoPark. (NO incandescent bulbs, place those in the trash.)
- Alkaline batteries: Batteries Plus stores will take small quantities.
- Button, and rechargeable batteries. Home improvement stores or the Monroe County EcoPark.
- Small electronics such as cell phones, printer cartridges, keyboards, modems, etc. Some big box stores or the Monroe County EcoPark.
- Sneakers: Fleet Feet stores in the Rochester area.
- Pull tabs from cans. Monroe County EcoPark.
- Clothing: Thrift Stores or Eco Park.
- Sewing materials: Craft Bits and Pieces in Fairport or Sew Green in Rochester
- Clean, worn towels and blankets: Can be taken by animal shelters